Sunday, May 2, 2010

Handkerchief

Though I’m not the kind of a student who goes to stage and addresses a valedictory speech, but for sure, I shared the limelight and similarly raised to the stage–to share my handkerchief to our teary-eyed classmate who was the valedictorian.
As he recounted his own past experiences and ours’, P-jay, a good friend of mine, burst to tears after he narrated the bitter memories of the sheer impoverished living in the countryside. Unfortunately, only the back of his hands was the only thing he found to wipe his effervescent flowing tears as he delivered his faint speech in the podium in the past four years.
And it was very shameful for him. As I figured it out, he forgot to bring a handkerchief not because he failed to anticipate the euphoria but maybe he had none ready for use.
A cousin, who attended as my lone companion and seated beside me told me to share my own handkerchief as the onset of the initial tear flowed. But of course, I let his euphoria to take the momentum; so I waited and initially refused.
Until such time, the memories directly implicated us all to the point that the 30 something high school graduates, including me, were also crying and men enough to let the emotional syndrome die down. Alas he kept on.
So I rose to stage and had given him my handkerchief which led to the instant adulation, for us both. And the rest were history. After the graduation as I rushed to home for the awaiting gathering and a simple handa, he returned the handkerchief as I boarded the vehicle.
This was how the constant reminder of mom since childhood, to always bring one, is of significance. And she has one more: to finish my studies.
Writing has been a cup of tea; and, reading too. With no study habit to wit, I am only an average numerical grade achiever. And I love my school organ and student body more than my degree. It is just that it is where I can take my citizenship as serious as Randy David’s.
I find it excruciating to read Math books and other content books which are replete with errors to varying degrees. And to memorize is my dose of litany.
On the other hand, I find it pleasing to read the Inquirer, in print and online; to always write for Palanca; and to speak of crucial issues. My words are maybe not from a divinity but at least a critical and real at that.
It is a Biblical belief that all are created equal. Of perseverance and determination, there is a possibility of having more, getting more and eventually of being more than anyone else. And there are some like me who would always take calculated risks and calculated effort. We ended up average or above it just to level the playing field: studies, to live pleasantly at a young age and just to seize the day.
Now, years after and by this March 2010, will be finally the graduation. I will be receiving my degree in Education. (Oops, I still have the practice teaching.)
Still, I am contented and happy. Never mind if I will not be a Valedictorian for as long as I can share my handkerchief to the Valedictorian.

No comments:

Post a Comment